Saturday, June 20, 2009

Some Thoughts From John Lennon...

I just found a great article written by John F. Lennon (not the Beatle) on his experiences with using blogs as part of the college classroom. Although he approaches the use of a blog as a tool to enhance the learning experience of the traditional classroom environment, his theories can be applied to distance learning as well. Lennon declares that a blog is a useful tool in keeping a discussion going. It allows students to post their ideas as soon as they are generated as opposed to waiting until the next classroom session. He even makes a comparison between Blackboard threaded discussions vs. blogs, indicating that he strongly prefers a blog. If you have time, read this article. I found it to be quite informative. 
http://www.lehigh.edu/~inllnote/issues/issue4/Blogging.htm

2 comments:

  1. I really like the white on black set up. Nice blog- it really stands out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In regards to John Lennon's comparison between a blog and black board I have mixed feelings. I would agree that having the RSS that comes along with being a blog follower could be great for discussion lines. I wonder if a blog could fulfill all of the other capabilities of the blackboard system. I have been pretty impressed wth the depth of the BB, and setting up a blog to have that many options, without getting students lost seems to me to be too difficult with the limited format options I've seen. Of course I have little to no experience at blogs, so I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete