Thursday, June 18, 2009

As some of my fellow classmates have already stated, setting up a blog was fairly easy. I looked at all of the blogs that Professor Morriss included within the blog assignment page. In the end, I decided on blogger.com because it appeared to be the most user-friendly. When I clicked on the link, it took me right to the setup process and even provided a preview. I am certain that the other sites are good as well, but I'm a Mac kinda guy and like things to be really simple whenever possible!

Based upon the research and writings of Richardson, Davi, Frydenberg, and Guiati, it is clear that blogs have found their way into the virtual classroom. When used as a class portal, a blog can offer more features than a traditional commercial course management system such as Blackboard. A blog provides a student with more options to personalize their space, is more flexible than the traditional threaded discussion, and expands opportunities for collaboration. 

As a labor education major, I am certain that the experience and skills I gain from using this blog will aid me in the future. 

References

Davi, Angelique, and Mark Frydenberg, and Girish J. Gulait. (September 2007). Blogging Across the Disciplines: Integrating Technology to Enhance Liberal Learning. http://jolt.merlot.org/vol3no3/frydenberg.htm

Richardson, Will. Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms. 2009. 

No comments:

Post a Comment